From On Site to On Screen. Manhattan-based storytellers Tony Bordonaro and Ingrid Kapteyn are turning CAMPFIRE, their original immersive production, into a film.
The film will offer the intimacy of the live performance while engaging wider audiences in its arresting and at times brutal test of the limits of human empathy.
References. The Hunger Games meets Pina Bausch. Bladerunner meets Sleep No More.
This image and the three that follow are from live performances of CAMPFIRE in Shanghai and New York City
Storyline. At the intersection of narrative and art film, CAMPFIRE uses physical storytelling to mine the relationship between two strangers whose paths cross unexpectedly in a dangerous post-apocalyptic city. The refugees’ desperate fight to survive challenges them – and us, the viewers – to question how we define humanity.
Campaign. The Bordonaro-Kapteyn Team is launching an early funding round to cover pre-production, filming, post-production, and early distribution to film festivals. Filming CAMPFIRE is the next step in their ambitious business plan to mount a large-scale immersive production with a long-term run in New York City.
Backstory. Bordonaro and Kapteyn are among New York’s most gifted creatives in immersive theater, bringing their powerful imagination not just to the stage but right to and into the audience. They originally created and performed CAMPFIRE live in Shanghai, China, while appearing regularly there in Punchdrunk’s long-running hit Sleep No More. The duo went on to present sellout performances of CAMPFIRE in New York City early in 2019.
- June 2017 – Sold-out premiere of CAMPFIRE at an office construction site in Shanghai, China.
- Fall 2018 – Publication of series of high-quality videos and stills
- January 2019 – Sold-out performances of CAMPFIRE at The Tank in New York City.
- Summer 2019 – Film Pre-Production: marketing materials, budget, script, location scouting.
- October 2019 – Live Proof of Concept Showing: invited gathering to introduce potential collaborators and funders to CAMPFIRE.
- December 2019 – NYC performances of a new live show by the Bordonaro-Kapteyn team.
- Spring 2020 – Film shoot, post-production, screenings, film festival submissions.
- Financial and Industry Backing – To date, Bordonaro and Kapteyn have invested $2600 in CAMPFIRE live performances and film preproduction. They have grossed $3800 in ticket sales and secured $3000 in in-kind professional commitments (set design and videography) from top New York-based collaborators. NPAFE is committing a minimum of $37,500 in marketing and fund-raising support.
Current Priorities. Funding the $54,000 hard dollar budget for operations and initial film festival submissions; Securing ongoing legal representation.
Online and Contact Resources.
Download a PDF of this document here.
Trailer for live performance of CAMPFIRE in Shanghai: http://bit.ly/CAMPFIRELIVE
NPAFE – Cliff Brody: email@example.com / 202.213.3076
Bordonaro-Kapteyn Team: firstname.lastname@example.org